Tuesday 7 August 2012

Almost RWC time...

Whilst fighting a throat infection for the last week or so, I have been able to put a few more hours into the bike and have made pretty good progress. Of the 'to do' list for the RWC (as per the last post) I have:

  • Ordered the new clutch perch - but postage seems to have stalled about a week ago in the US, no idea what is happening here, but want them to hurry up!
  • Properly secured the front of the Plate by making use of the tank mount, I cut and bent into shape a small bracker that allows the tank mount bolt to pass through it at one end, and the other end attaches to the plate by the same nut/bolt as the seat swivel bracket
  • Ordered some new hand grips (and mirrors!)  
  • Sanded down the front fender to a nice smooth finish
  • Put a few coats of protectant/waterproofing on my leather seat
  • Cut the edges of the support bracket so that the top of the bolts sit below the top of the frame

So all that is left to do is:
  • Install the clutch perch, if it ever arrives
  • Adjust the suspension to stop the rear fender hitting the Seat Bracket
  • Install shorter bolts for the Seat Bracket (hopefully black!) - this has been harder than expected as the thread pitch is quite rare, it would seem at 10x1.25mm, but I'm sure I'll find some somewhere!

On the mechanical side, the bike failed to start on the weekend, after running earlier that day (but struggling to idle). So did some searching in the manual and talking to my ex-mechanic friend, and long story short the culprit was ....me! - after starting the bike and revving it, sitting on it, and wishing I could take it for a ride for a few months, the spark plugs had fouled up a storm and were quite knackered! I gave them a good clean and put them back in, but still no love. So I bought some new ones and now it's all fixed up :)

Not going to run it now until it's ready for RWC so that it can get there no worries - just need to find a reputable shop that is happy to do a roady on a customised bike - shouldn't be too big a deal, given I have adhered to all the rules/regulations that I can find (you think this would be stored in an easy to find location, but no, that would be too logical!), such as distance between indicators, brake light positioning, number plate positioning, '45 degree' rule for rear fender, maximum height between bottom of hand grips andtop of lowest part of seat....etc!!

Pics:








-Hayds.

2 comments:

  1. can I ask where you got the front seat bracket mount? http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-y_q1wr-tkns/UCDQewc4YQI/AAAAAAAAAHw/oczVGIMsBWU/s1600/bracket+installed.jpg
    I have been trying to find one of these and I cant!!handsofsean@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The one that I didn't make? it came with the seat!...

    ReplyDelete