Sunday 22 April 2012

Mount that seat...

Well, much like yesterday, My Father-in-law and I got stuck into it and managed to fabricate a bracket that bolts on and holds the bolts for the seat springs. Lots of measurements, discussions, cutting, welding and grinding later, we had a functional and strong bracket:




We used bolts with square bases under the smooth round heads, so after drilling and filing the holes to be square, the bolts sat and pulled through nicely with the nuts shown on top of the plate.

As you can see, the seat sits a little high, but with the existing bracket at the front the seat, it doesn't have a lot of options. I will definitely be changing it so that the front of the seat comes down, and of course I will bring the bottom of the seat springs further down the threads - but this part will have to wait until the rear fender arrives and is mounted, so I can ensure there is adequate clearance between it and the seat.

This is kind of what I was trying to describe yesterday - you can see that the original rear fender struts still attach over the top of the new seat bracket, so the fender will be cut (shown by the yellow lines in the picture) and a padded seat will be mounted to it. I'll also put a handle on the back for the passenger to hold on, in case they don't want to hug me :)
If however that still doesn't clear the new fender/tail light/indicators, then I will go to plan 'B', which is using some steel tubing to mount the seat - but we'll go down the path if we have to! The aim is to just have four bolts come out, line up the passenger section and put the four bolts back in, and voila! A Pillion-Passenger-ready bike!

-Hayds

5 comments:

  1. WOW that is awesome could I pay you for this a similar one? I just dont have the tools!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're serious, I'm sure I could help you out. Depends of course on where you live!

      Delete
  2. I live in texas, I am taking lots of notes. that is a really great idea but I do not have connections to a welder. what type of steel did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I live in Melbourne, Australia, so a little too far away to give you a hand!
    I used Galvanised Steel, because it's what I had laying around - had to grind it back to weld of course, but a good sturdy steel (about 8mm thick) to use as a seat bracket.
    If I lived in Texas, I'd be hitting up this guy: http://www.houstonretrobobbers.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. well, thank you anyways. I was looking at that site. houston is still far from where I'm at.
    Keep at it.

    -Sean

    ReplyDelete