Wednesday 7 November 2012

Let there be colour...

Amongst work and helping look after the latest addition to our family, I've been pretty busy trying to get the bike ready for our trip around the Vic High Country in two weeks time (two days after I'm allowed to ride the bike!). I'm sure the bike will never be 'finished' but I like to think it will be ready for the trip!

I wanted to try some painting/prepping/taping methods that I have never tried before, so practiced on my helmet. It came out OK - the main issues are a few slight runs in the gold paint (bad idea to use these 'spray from any angle' cans when doing delicate paint work like this) and I tried to sand the clear coat 24 hours after laying it down, with the intent of doing another couple of coats there after, making it very smooth - but as it turns out the clear wasn't 100% dry and so now there is some 'cloudiness' in there....not ideal, but not the end of the world! I learnt a lot, and that was the main idea.



I then went to work on the black parts that will be under the seat, including the seat bracket, seat pan and chain guard - all different metals! Galvanized Steel, mild steel and chromed steel, in that order. So two different etch primers and lots of sand paper later, they got a few coats of black gloss enamel (everything here comes from spray cans!) and then a few coats of clear



 
The rear fender needed to use another type of etch primer, as that is aluminium, but luckily that was the same one as the chrome....so it got a full coat of gold, taped up, then a few layers of 'deep blue pearl'. I haven't clear coated it yet, but that's coming this weekend!


I would also like to do the headlight in the same blue with a gold pin stripe, but need to see how the chromed (now black) chain guard holds up under wear and tear - if it works well then I'll figure it's safe to do the headlight!
-Hayds.

No comments:

Post a Comment